Gateway Sports Cars
We absolutely want you to sign up and join us on the board . Only actual or prospective members will be invited to the drives however. I just want you to keep that in mind, thanks Very Happy

Ralph Longo

the never ending build

Go down

the never ending build

Post  jdmser on Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:28 am

I got my S14 in 03' and in 05' I finished swapping in a RB20. I put about 24k miles on it since I've own it and the rest of the time it's been being worked on. The most "recent" batch of work started after coil failure at Gateway in 08'. I had been collecting parts to build a RB24 for a while so when the rings went on 3 cylinders I went ahead and yanked the motor. I had JE build a set of pistons to my specs(which I stole for Tomei), got a set of Eagle ESP rods for the RB26, and found a R33 RB26 crank. I searched around for a machine shop that would do the work when a friend recommended John Huber, from Huber Performance. I building it for drag and Mr. Huber knows a lot about drag racing. I sure you know if you've ever seen their 4cyl turbo Mustang run.

Once over to Mr. Huber the crank was sent out to have one of the journals welded, all were reground to fall in the middle of spec are measuring the bearings, and then the crank was re-nitrided. We'll be using coated ACL rod and crank bearings and holding the bottom end together with ARP hardware. The block was then bored out to 82mm and filled up to the bottom of the freeze plugs with Hardblok. Mr. Huber cleaned up the previous port job on the head and sent it off for a valve job. Upon return all new valve seals were put in was well as the Tomei spring that were originally in the head. That about as far as we got on the block.

While the engine was off I was able to do a little work of my own. I knew that the stock RB20 transmission wasn't going to hold the type of power I was looking for. So, I sourced a Pathfinder transmission and a bell housing from a RB26 transmission. I stripped the engine bay, stitch welded it, and repainted. I also was able to mock up a bracket so I can use the Quest alternator when the engine is done. A friend of mine's dad was also able to weld a fitting on the stock exhaust manifold for me for the external wastegate.

The most recent batch of work was to the intake manifold. We had weld a pipe and flange on the factory manifold to mount a 90mm throttle body to but, it wasn't going to clear the valve covers without work. So, off to Mr. Huber's where the gasket was sent out and a spacer was water jetted to lift the intake plenum up a little over an inch. I also stumbled on a awesome deal right around this time for a ATI damper.

That's where we're at right now. The last pieces I need to finish up are a flywheel and a driveshaft.

jdmser

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: the never ending build

Post  jdmser on Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:15 am

jdmser

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: the never ending build

Post  jdmser on Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:19 am

jdmser

View user profile